Our annual Sisterhood Fundraiser supports Bet Aviv and our local community
Bet Aviv Sisterhood provides its members diverse opportunities to connect with other women, to develop spiritual, intellectual and personal growth and to touch the lives of others through support of Bet Aviv Congregation, organized community service and social action initiatives. Bet Aviv Sisterhood is a member of Women of Reform Judaism, the women's agency of the Union of Reform Judaism.
Some of our on-going and ever popular educational and social events include:
- The September Kick-off Meeting is when members are introduced to the board and a special-interest speaker or activity is planned. Our 2013-14 kick-off gala features "Songs We Sing". Click here for the next Kick-Off Meeting invitation.
- The New Member Coffee, usually in October, is an opportunity for new Sisterhood members and congregants to meet in an informal setting to make new acquaintances and learn about opportunities to get involved.
- Sisterhood Book Club meets the second Wednesday of every other month, with both daytime and evening meetings offered. Annually, members vote on book selection, and hostesses and leaders are rotated.
- Salons meet a few times a year, usually on alternate book club months. Salons are, by definition, a small gathering of people who converse on a topic for the purpose of amusement or to increase their awareness or knowledge. Prior salons have included "Jews on Broadway," "Prejudice," and "Discover Your Inner Artist."
- Sisterhood Shabbat, observed in the spring of each year features a special Shabbat program honoring the sisterhood women of Bet Aviv who have worked so diligently throughout the year.
- Our annual Fundraising Event raises money for Bet Aviv, our local community and beyond. The 2012-13 event, "The Fantastic 50s and 60s," was a huge social and financial success.
- Critical Issues, held every spring, is a once a year program with a focus on speakers in the political arena or social issue realm. Our 2012-13 program featured a speaker from the Howard County Domestic Violence Center.
Board of Directors
|Immediate Past President||Sheryll Ziporkin|
|Community Service Chair||Phyllis Zolotorow|
Helena Seidel, Sharon Malcom
|Fundraising Chairs||Rona Cohen, Harriet Tobin|
|Resource Drives Coordinator||Anne Marie Blatt|
|Book Club Coordinator||Lynne Warshaw|
|Advocacy/Critical Issues Chair||Judy Silver Weisberg|
|Programming Chair||Sue Sternheimer|
|Member at Large||
To join Bet Aviv Sisterhood, please contact our Membership Co-Chairs. Membership is open to Bet Aviv members only. Click here to download the Sisterhood Membership Form.
Click here to read the Sisterhood Bylaws updated in October 2014.
Bet Aviv Sisterhood is a proud member of the Women of Reform Judaism (WRJ). WRJ represents women in over 600 local Sisterhood throughout the U.S., Canada and other countries around the world. Click here to access their website that is a fountain of information on items of interest to Sisterhood members.