Our Sisterhood Fundraiser supports Bet Aviv and our local community
Bet Aviv Sisterhood provides its members diverse opportunities to connect with other women, to develop spiritual, intellectual and personal growth and to touch the lives of others through support of Bet Aviv , organized community service and social action initiatives. The most important aspect of Sisterhood is the bond of friendship and support created between members where one call leads to whatever help, guidance or care one needs. Sisterhood is an incredible group of ladies that will wrap their arms around you and be there for you.
Bet Aviv Sisterhood is a member of Women of Reform Judaism, the women’s agency of the Union of Reform Judaism.
Some of our on-going and ever popular educational and social events include:
- The September Kick-off Meeting is when members are introduced to the board and a special-interest speaker or activity is planned. Our featured speaker for the 2020-2021 Kickoff meeting is Bet Aviv member and author, Toby Devens who will present “The Best is Yet to Be: and Other Lies (and Truths) about Growing Older.”
- The New Member Coffee, usually in October, is an opportunity for new Sisterhood members and congregants to meet in an informal setting to make new acquaintances and learn about opportunities to get involved.
- Sisterhood Book Club meets the second Wednesday of every other month, with both daytime and evening meetings offered. Annually, members vote on book selection, and hostesses and leaders are rotated.
- Program Events are generally held monthly. Sisterhood has held Mah Jongg tournaments, Sisterhood dinners to celebrate Hanukkah, Blanket Bees, and much more.”
- Sisterhood Shabbat, observed in the spring of each year features a special Shabbat program honoring the sisterhood women of Bet Aviv who have worked so diligently throughout the year.
- Community Service is a very important aspect of our Sisterhood. During the year we have fundraisers to support local community services, such as an “Empty Bowl” event to collect funds for Grassroots Crisis Intervention Center. We also cook once a month for the Crisis Center, and collect non-perishable items and clothing for the Grassroots Day Resource Center.
- Our Fundraising events raise money for Bet Aviv, our local community and beyond. In addition to our support of Grassroots and Bet Aviv, Sisterhood has raised funds for JEN (the Jewish Emergency Network) and the Interfaith Coalition for Compassion. Sisterhood funds also support WRJ (Women of Reform Judaism).
Board of Directors
|President||Judy Silver Weisberg|
|Vice President – Programming||Hattie Katkow|
|Vice President – Membership||Faye Levine|
|Recording Secretary||Sheryl Amster|
|Corresponding Secretary||Marilyn Binder|
|Immediate Past President||Linda Feldmesser|
|Programming Coordinators||Elaine Gorman|
|Fundraising Programs||Susie Golkow & Sharon Malcom|
|Social Action Liaison||Phyllis Zolotorow|
|Grassroots Meals||Sheryl Ziporkin|
|School Supplies||Rita Brill & Marcia Berlin|
|Book Club Coordinator||Gayle Miller|
|Rosh Chodesh Group||Nina Richman Loo & Gayle Miller|
To join Bet Aviv Sisterhood, please contact our Membership Chair. Membership is open to Bet Aviv members only. Click here to download the Sisterhood Membership Form.
Click here to read the Sisterhood Bylaws updated in October 2014.
Women of Reform Judaism
Bet Aviv Sisterhood is a proud member of the Women of Reform Judaism (WRJ). WRJ represents women in over 600 local Sisterhood throughout the U.S., Canada and other countries around the world. Click here to access their website that is a fountain of information on items of interest to Sisterhood members.